Monday, May 10, 2010

Estoy Aqui!


Sorry It’s taken me so long to get started on my blog! I’ve been figuring out this whole blogging process, but now that I’ve kind of got it, I’m quite addicted. I’ve got way too many thoughts in my head – blogging is a good way to release them.
Surprisingly I was able to navigate the airport, by myself, without a single problem(Those of you who know me and my history with flights can appreciate what a miracle that was) well I guess I did have a couple of problems on the plane, the large couple I sat next to did not have a good sense of humor about my over active bladder… but it was still an incredibly enjoyable flight. I stared out the window as the plane flew over Central America. The sinking sun burned a vibrant red against the billowing clouds. Later, large bolts of lightning exploded right in front of my face blinding the night with spasmodic flashes of brilliant light. I’ve never even seen anything more beautiful. It was as though I was drifting through a dream – a sensation I’ve experienced frequently since coming here.
After arriving at the house where we will be living for the next four months I was given a tour of the place. The house is dirty (something I can totally handle), broken down, and yet absolutely beautiful. I have to take cold showers (when the showers work), sleep on a cot, use a pillow that feels like a bunch of rolled up socks, brush my teeth with a water bottle ( all the water here is contaminated) and throw away the toilet paper after I’m done using it (toilets don’t flush ) … but I LOVE it all! I am SO THRILLED to be here!
I no longer have to worry about ridiculous professors, updating my facebook status, continually checking my cell phone, dating a bunch of idiots, straightening my hair or any other kind of issue / complication that has consumed my attention for the past many years. Finally, I have time to escape the frenzied blur of my over-demanding schedule. It’s wonderful to be concentrating on someone besides myself, because it’s not about me anymore, it’s about the people I’m serving.
Speaking Spanish is going surprisingly well; I was even able to comment in Sunday school and relief society without getting too nervous about it. So far the only time I really have a hard time understanding the people is when they try to speak to me in English (most of them don’t speak very well)…but that’s ok because I’m going to be teaching them English this summer. The first class starts tomorrow. I am so excited!
That’s it for now. I’ll update the trip in about a week, look forward to hearing about:
- Giving eye examinations to children in need of glasses
- Building houses for flood victims
- My first English class
- The CRAZY thrill of managing the buses here
- Multi stake dances
- THE BEACH!!!!!
- Feeling like a super model (I’m going to have a very big head when I get back, the boys LOVE American jgjBlondes)
- The differences between American and Salvadorian prices.
- And other insights from my utterly profound opinion.
- Hasta Entonces…. Adios!
To the left is the house we´re staying at.
Below are the ¨servants quarters¨
The last picture is the view from my window.












1 comment:

  1. Ah, I'm glad you are alive and well! It's good to hear all the lovely details of your life right now! I'm slightly jealous about the techo withdrawl you're able to have:) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete