Friday, January 28, 2011

Why Boys Should Wear Wedding Rings

My testimony of boy’s utter stupidity was strengthened a year ago when my printer broke down. I knew a guy in the ward named Dave who was a computer science major. We had talked a couple of times before, and he seemed like a decent enough guy. I called him up to help me fix it. He responded enthusiastically, “Sure! I can come over and help you out with it.” We talked effortlessly, I knew half his life story by the time he had finished with the printer. During one of our conversations, he had mentioned a movie that he wanted to go see.
Feeling like there was a connection I asked him, “Would you like to see the movie together some time?”
He froze. “Oh, um, well…hum, that could be fun, but see, I, I’m not sure. I probably can’t. It’s just that I don’t know how my fiancé would feel about that.”
FIANCE?! I could have slapped the idiot. We had been pouring our souls out for over an hour, why had he not brought this up yet? That should have been the first thing he ever said to me, “Hi, I’m Dave, I’m engaged.” If he didn’t want to be that blunt he could have at least said something to the effect of, “You drink water, hey my fiancé does that too!” that would have given me the stay away signal. Instead, I had to be the one to apologize for making things awkward. The injustice of boys not wearing engagement rings makes me want to go and flirt like crazy with some random victim, then wear a fake wedding ring to class one day just to see his expression as his face falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment